View Single Post
      05-09-2011, 01:21 AM   #48
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by coiken View Post
I think the comments in the original post are not related the a subjective view of the poster but to the car itself. I believe there are some serious quality issues with some new x3's. Propabely caused by bas quality control in the American plant. Let me clarify this theory with my own experience with the X3 so far.

Last month I've test driven 3 different X3s (F25):

1st X3: Had dynamic damping control but no active sport steering. This car hadeled as described by the poster, it was extremely wobly, it felt like a boat that was moving over the waves at sea :-s . Once this test drive was over I was super dissapointed and at that point I was 90% convinced that I could/wanted not to drive a car with crappy dive characteristics like this.

2nd X3: I decided to give it another chance after reading tons of good feedback and positive reviews, this car did not have Dynamic damping control and had the normal springs. This X3 already handeled a lot better, and when I say "a lot", I really mean difference like heaven and hell! The wobly feeling was almost not existant and the car hadeled quite good, not like a ultimate driving machine, but still more than acceptble.

3rd X3: Wanted to convince myself if I would go for the X3 or 5-series touring. This X3 had almost every option and did also have the dynamic damping control, sport steering, etc... This car hadeled like a dream, no wobely feeling at all, perfect grip in sharp cornes, little to no body roll! At this point I was sure, if my car would handle like this, then this is the X3 I want! 3 days later I ordered the X3, also with almost all options marked for my new baby

Conclusion: There is something wrong with some X3s, not all of them but some.... it seems to be like lottery wheter you are going to get a good one or not. IMHO there can be only 1 reason for this: Bad quality control at the US plant!

Readin these forums really makes me scared on what I'm going to get, some people have terrible wind noises in their cars (comming from the doorsealings, not the driver ;-) ), some people experience bad handeling, some people have issues with the flat spots on their run flats, etc... and some people just get one hell of a good ride, I really really hope I'm going to be one of the last group... spending 70.000€ for a peace of crap would really piss me off!
First year models always a risk before they iron out the kinks, so cross your fingers
Appreciate 0