View Single Post
      05-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #111
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

[QUOTE=clivem2;9480181]I agree in some respects...but of course when are 99% of these cars driven off road? Never? Sometimes in the UK they are call Chelsea tractors, ie they never get out of Chelsea (London).

The Q5, Q7, Cayanne & X5 don't have these slightly awkward proportions. I think BMW want the X1 to be the least attractive, X3 decent, and X5 best. Good positioning from one of the best marketing OEMs.

Can the X3 really use all the clearance under and into the wings, I doubt it, it's not a Land Rover Defender. I bet the suspension travel isn't that great. [QUOTE]

There are two ways to reduce the gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch. Either increase the drop of the arch to bring it down to the tyre or use shorter springs to lower the car.

Running shorter springs reduces suspension travel. Having good suspension travel is a necessity for good handling. Audis generally ride lower than BMWs but usually the ride is slated (by the motoring press) as being too stiff and also not handling as well as the comparable BMW model.

What you are referring to above is articulation and is different from travel.
Appreciate 0