06-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

I hardwired my Valentine1 in my X3 about two months ago and documented it here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...light=hardwire

There is a link to a F10 install (with pictures!) in there too, as it is bascially the same process. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK, as removing the center console (especially the middle 2 clips) is not as easy as I would have hoped.

Although I have the utmost respect for Lotus (I would not have a flashlight in my glovebox if not for him!), I would suggest NOT using the map light as it is continuously powered (unless you are good about remembering to turn of the detector). You need a power source that switches off when you turn off the car. DEFINITELY should fuse the line, however.

The color of the power source wire I used was brown and green and it headed down towards the rear view mirror. I believe (but am not sure) that this powers the HomeLink garage door opener. Either way it works fine, no errors. The Ground is easy, as there is a very evident big unpainted bolt screwed into the upper frame.

Also, I pulled the power wire so that it come out the side of the vanity light above the visor, so the wiring is just about invisible when the visor is up.

Suggest you stay away from any wires near the BMW Assist/Telematics area.

Good luck and proceed with patience.
Attached Images

Last edited by Alanintx; 06-25-2011 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: added pics
Appreciate 0