View Single Post
      04-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #55
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
After some thought about the warning that my wife saw this afternoon: A Stability Control warning (No ABS and NO 4X4 warnings) that quickly reset itself while she was driving in a manner that should not have resulted in any stability control actuation, I've come to the conclusion that the warning was probably NOT an erroneous warning at all and may have been valid.

I had noticed that the 328i loaner seemed to ride a little hard and didn't handle like other 3 Series cars I've driven so I decided to check the tires. The factory recommended pressure for a 328i (XDrive) with 17 inch all -season tires is 32 F and 36 R.

The loaner we were given had cold pressures of 42 F and 38 R. Instead of a F/R pressure differential of -4 psi, it had a reverse pressure differential of +4 and the front tires were inflated to 10 psi above spec. I adjusted all the tires to 2psi above spec all-around, reset the TPM, and the car handles much better now. Hopefully, that's all it was.

I'd be surprised if that would be enough to cause the Stability Control system to detect a F/R speed differential that was interpreted as some tire slippage triggering the SC warning, but it is a possibility.

Haven't heard from the SA today, but assuming that they have not seen another "false alarm" on the X3, we should be getting it back tomorrow. Time will tell if their “software update” has had any effect on this intermittent problem. I'll be very happy to trade the "spookey" 328i for our X3.
Is the new I-Drive still running on Microsoft Windows CE?
Appreciate 0