04-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #45
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
There was one "code" logged that confirmed that a fault display or displays had been generated. Unfortunately, the cause made no sense at all.

The US EPA required OBD-II fault codes are very specific as to what must be logged regarding anything that effects the vehicle's emissions. Otherwise the available logging of fault codes is up to each individual manufacturer. There is little consistency within the industry or even within a model line so unless you have access to proprietary manufacturer's specifications, you cannot be sure of what data is available on the access port.

For instance, I was considering adding a digital boost gauge to the car to monitor the turbocharger. On other forced induction cars I’ve owned, I’ve found a boost gauge to be invaluable to be sure everything is working as expected and to be a good check on the turbo’s general health. I’ve contacted BMW NA customer service, and they have been of no help in determining if the required MAP sensor data can be read from the port, and both manufacturer’s of digital boost gauges I’ve considered have not had any direct experience with the X3 35i to know if their products will work on the car.
Annoying that in this day in age with so much memory storage available, they don't have more comprehensive logging to assist troubleshooting. Surely it would be a good idea for customers and manufacturers alike

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0