View Single Post
      03-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

F25 X3 Feedback

OK, here is some feedback after week. Hope some of it's useful!

Love the following:

- Sunroof - makes such a difference to the light inside the car. Really missed not having one on my last car

- Google search combined with SatNav. Search for curry house, get list with distance, choose one, call to book a table, click flag for destination, off you go

- The fact that all of these appear in the dash: Nav directions with graphics showing direction and 1 mile to roundabout etc - very useful, last dialled numbers, radio stations and track names - all great design

- Cruise control setting – green marker (so cool) appearing next to selected speed and set speed appearing in dash

- Favourite buttons that you can use for DAB stations, calling home etc

- Voice commands seem to work quite well for addresses etc. I was expecting more mistakes

- Tyre pressure monitor - and graphics!

- Angel eyes - really enjoyed seeing the 4 rings of my daytime running lights reflecting off the back of the car in front of me at the traffic lights!

- Auto dimming mirrors very useful. Folding mirrors that close when you hold the lock button also very useful. I use this is a lot.

- The fact that start stop can be controlled dynamically by how hard you press the brake pedal. I may ultimately switch it off but not for now.

Suspension

I have the dynamic package with sports suspension and 19” alloys and think the ride is pretty smooth. It’s relatively firm but I like it and I’m really glad I went for it.

Responsiveness

Plenty fast enough for me but my GTI days are now behind me . Auto seems to always get it right (much better than Audis I have driven which seem slow to react sometimes) - not had any moments where I’m left waiting for it to accelerate - yet!

Servotronic

I love the steering!! I like the fact it’s so effortless at low speeds and I think it works well cornering at higher speeds. Not had any issues with it all. Again, pleased I didn’t go for VDC or variable sports steering as I don’t think I need it at all

Stereo

I think I'm glad I went for business rather that forking out for pro. Good quality and quite impressed with it. OK, it's only 200W and I had 600W on my last car but it's good enough quality for me. If I didn't have such a big option bill and was choosing again I might consider pro

OK, that's all good and now a couple of bad.....

Offset pedals / seat position

I’m finding the pedal position a little bit uncomfortable. I seem to keep ending up with my right foot at 45 degrees and wanting to shift my heel. Also my legs are too long for the foot rest on the left so I keep my left foot in between the brake pedal and the rest. I may get used to this and it might have something to do with the shorter height between the chair and the floor where my feet are. I tried making the seat higher but then I can’t see the top of the dash! I'm a bit annoyed I can't put the steering wheel any higher than the max height (my GTI allowed it to be higher). At the moment, I’m shuffling around a lot trying to get comfortable. Hopefully I’ll find a winning position eventually. It's still early.

Fuel consumption

Eeek. Only 35 mpg over 400 miles and half of that was on the motorway and not doing much more than 80 mph. Can't see me even getting 40 mpg . I am keeping a note of the mileage and the amount of fuel I put in and will keep you posted. I think the 19" alloys and run flats both impact on the advertised mpg but I was hoping for a little better.

Overall though, I'm very very happy and 100% sure I made the right choice. Joy!!!!!!!!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0