View Single Post
      05-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #74
marblehead
Rep
Drives: 2008 X3 MSport Package

Update on Car & Codes

Well, took the newly acquired and beloved '08 X3 to Ralph Schomp BMW in Denver and had it gone through and sure enough, a faulty HAVAC Thermostat was the primary problem for the thrown code. HOWEVER, they also performed a number of additional items including replacing a flawed/failing idler pulley, a leak diagnosis pump (whatever that is!), both under warranty. More still, I was told it was time to flush the break system and that the rear pads and rotors were worn, both of which I'm quite capable of doing myself. However, personal time constraints precluded me taking on the tasks and so I had them do it. Result? Well, it turned out that the only the pads needed replacing and NOT the rotors, actually saving me a chunk of Benjamins! I was and am VERY IMPRESSED with the quality and integrity of this service, just considering the rear brake job. They could have easily replaced those rotors, making more money for themselves, and I would have never been the wiser. That's customer service in the best of ways and I will take the car back there when/if needed. End result? About an additional $900.00 to the original cost of the car! But I'm still ahead in my book because of the sale price. Still, buyer beware! The car also came without the rear cargo area retracting cover, which I now know is a standard item! $400.00 replacement cost but we'll happily live without that item! I did buy the car "as is" but again, was told the car was put through a "70 point check" which I now believe is bogus. I may have even mentioned the debris in the air filter box, a very, very simple check that was completely omitted/overlooked by the BMW Dealer/Seller. Moreover, a simple plug-in of their own code reader would have shown these faults. One would think out of integrity that they'd at least inform the potential buyer of known issues. . .Caveat Emptor!! The dealer in question in this case? BMW of Lincoln, NE. I've e-mailed them with my moral complaints, knowing fully that I have no legal recourse and, as one might guess, have received no reply. Still, all in all, I am very, very pleased with the car and I did, in fact, purchase a VERY CLEAN car that looks new and only ended up with a few issues. Great performance, fuel economy, luxury, inspiring handling, all-wheel drive, etc. All the good stuff you all know about if you're reading this post!
Appreciate 0