View Single Post
      05-20-2011, 05:13 AM   #39
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
BMW's marketing actually hasn't spent much time on the sporty aspects of X3. Seeing how few people actually order the DHP, it's clear that X3 simply gets the benefits from other BMW cars' sporty images.

Mole7374 - sport suspension delete is unique to the M Sport in the U.S. (maybe Canada too, I haven't checked.) In other markets, there's actually a sport suspension for the M Sport, but it's deleted for the U.S. market. I think this used to be the case for X5, but now M Sport option does include the sport suspension.

BMW may put out inconsistent information, but that doesn't mean we can't figure out the truth. It doesn't matter to most buyers, but for those who care, check the hardware and you'll know what's there.

Case in point: X3's optional Performance Control simply uses braking action to achieve a "torque vectoring" effect, but there's no mechanical planetary gear set or multi-plate clutch there to re-direct torque as in the X6, X5M, or X6M, or the SH-AWD in Acura and the Sport Diff in Audi S4. it's a poor man's torque vectoring, similar to Porsche's system on the G2 Cayenne, or Ford Focus (albeit on front wheels).

Auto makers are increasingly using electronics instead of mechanical devices. To mask what they don't have, fancy names are drawn up. for example, VW GTI markets a "XDS" electronic differential lock as a cheap alternative to a mechanical LSD.

Dig deeper, my fellow enthusiasts.
I ended up going to bed before I read the remainnig posts last night, but great post MM....totally agree with you. I mean electronic systems are good b/c they react quickly and they avoid having to add any additional weight, but IMHO they cannot do what mechanical systems do...how many rally cars (that win) have total electronic setups? I still don't understand the "sport suspension delete" thing for the m-sport US models....what do they put back on and why is that different than the "regular" non-M models? Do they put on an even sportier suspension? Very strange I guess.

And look I think x-drive is a fine system...it really is, however like you said, when you start "faking out" enough stuff (like the poor mans torque vectoring factor you point out) eventually you hit a wall...that being said, for just about every x-drive owner in just about every situation, x-drive will run like a champ.

AWD conversations are near and dear to me as a subaru enthusiast and STI owner....and I can tell you that if you ever want to see some crazy obsessive people, go out to an STI board and read the crap that gets thrown around about other AWD systems...some of it is spot on, a lot of it is crazy flaming, but the bottom line is this....when you put in mechanical LSD and a multi-plate transfer clutch, and a planetary-gear-type center differential,...and oh yea don't forget the limited-slip helical front and Torsen rear differential.... you can just achieve things that electronic systems can never do.

That being said though...BMW has ended up selling A LOT more cars over the years b/c of the fact that they introduced X-Drive....now that is either good engineering or great marketing!!
Appreciate 0