View Single Post
      05-20-2011, 02:54 AM   #38
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

BMW's marketing actually hasn't spent much time on the sporty aspects of X3. Seeing how few people actually order the DHP, it's clear that X3 simply gets the benefits from other BMW cars' sporty images.

Mole7374 - sport suspension delete is unique to the M Sport in the U.S. (maybe Canada too, I haven't checked.) In other markets, there's actually a sport suspension for the M Sport, but it's deleted for the U.S. market. I think this used to be the case for X5, but now M Sport option does include the sport suspension.

BMW may put out inconsistent information, but that doesn't mean we can't figure out the truth. It doesn't matter to most buyers, but for those who care, check the hardware and you'll know what's there.

Case in point: X3's optional Performance Control simply uses braking action to achieve a "torque vectoring" effect, but there's no mechanical planetary gear set or multi-plate clutch there to re-direct torque as in the X6, X5M, or X6M, or the SH-AWD in Acura and the Sport Diff in Audi S4. it's a poor man's torque vectoring, similar to Porsche's system on the G2 Cayenne, or Ford Focus (albeit on front wheels).

Auto makers are increasingly using electronics instead of mechanical devices. To mask what they don't have, fancy names are drawn up. for example, VW GTI markets a "XDS" electronic differential lock as a cheap alternative to a mechanical LSD.

Dig deeper, my fellow enthusiasts.