View Single Post
      05-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #28
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
From my understanding, for U.S. market cars, if you don't have DHP, and have M Sport, the switches would not make a difference to the suspension setting. Of course, we don't have physical evidence yet. To me, logic suggests that's the case.

It's likely what some M Sport owners feel in the sport+ setting are actually the sportier steering response from the Variable sport steering option, which is part of the M Sport package. I would suggest that driving straight through the same lousy roads in different setting can tell you whether there are changes in suspension setting.

For those who do not have DHP or M Sport, but only SAP, the only changes would be throttle response.

Also, with DHP the suspension setting isn't changed for individual wheels. You either get soft or hard set up at all 4 corners.
Well...I'll agree, disagree, and be neutral on different parts. First, I agree that some sort of physical evidence or a statement from BMW is necessary to clear this up...I think most of us are right on some parts but off on others...I think it's impt to say that none of us here really knows 100% no matter what we think. Second...I'd agree that from everythign I read, in non-dhp cars, and 35i only, the toggle switches are only SUPPOSED TO change steering and throttle...however...when then is the chassis setup still in the idrive and why are many users reporting a different suspension feel? it's weird...not sure what to think there. The one confusing to me is on the M-sport where it says "sport suspension delete"...so what does that mean relative to the non-dhp cars...does that mean they have sports suspension? WTH right? I have to think that what BMW wrote is somewhat accurate in that 28i cars with no dhp get nothing....35 cars with SAP get the switches to adjust steering and throttle and that this chassis feel is due to the steering change...however I'm still suspect b/c of what other users have been reporting... and in DHP you get all that plus the dynamic dampening. The dampening factor is what happens to each wheel indivdually.

I'll disagree with this that you wrote: Also, with DHP the suspension setting isn't changed for individual wheels. You either get soft or hard set up at all 4 corners. I'm 99% sure that is incorrect...modifying the feel of each wheel is the exact point of DHP..."dynamic"...it's not an all or nothing thing...why do you think the system when you are at highway speed and hit a pothole adjust the rear wheel after the front wheel detects the bump...it's modifying one wheel differently than the other...again that's the whole point of DHP. This system has been around for a while in the other lines...it totally adjusts each wheel and not the whole setup. What it will do is this...adjust the whole setup to be geared towards a sport mode, however the system still modifies and adjusts each wheel accordingly...that's just it.
Appreciate 0