View Single Post
      05-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #26
mole7374
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
The same argument rages on the other side of the pond. People review the car with VDC and say it's a "must have" assuming that Normal mode with VDC (dampers) is the same as a car without. It simply isn't. As very few people have actually driven a VDC and a non-VDC car, and most people aren't able to observe the effect of having larger wheels, RFTs, sports suspension, performance control etc, it's impossible to draw conclusions like this unless you're in a lab!
You are absolutely right and I agree with you...and I'll put the disclaimer out there that the above is my opinion and my opinion only and tha tyour mileage my vary....

Tha being said...I do feel like though I have some ground to stand on b/c I've been behind the wheel of both extensively and i'm not talking off of a data sheet. I've had multiple days of test drives with both DHP, non-dhp, 28 and 35 and I can tell you that I feel a difference between the modes. I've done my homework as well like others, but I've also been behind the wheel and that is what mattes.

Here is my overall conclusion:

#1: if you don't have performance tires you are not pushing any X3 to its limits...RFTs and all-seasons are just not built for that...period..can't imagine will agrue that.

#2: You have to be driving hard....and I mean HARD for the sport+ modes to really really really matter. I mean you will notice a difference, but I pushed the b@lls out of the non-dhp car and I felt like it kept to the road beautifully... in the end there is only so hard I'm going to push a 50K SUV that I have to pay for!

#3: it is an SUV...period...it' s not EVER going to handle like a 3-series...no way no how not possible...physics comes into play and a higher center of gravity means more body roll

#4: between the modes here is what I found: DHP comfort mode: very comfortable but definitely floaty...not bad, just floaty. I hate the throttle response in this mode...frankly it is non-responsive
DHP: sport mode: to me in most situations ,it feels exactly like a non-dhp X3.good balance between comfort and performance. Sport+: definitely a different beast...tight. twitchy, but again...you better be driving hard in order to make her happy...if you lolly gag around she'll laugh back at you and tell you to put her back in sport mode
non-DHP x3: in my opinion it's just setup to drive it and forget it and be happy in all situations...except the one where you are floating the car around a track...but who here is doing that???

And again...not sure if I put this out there on this board but on the other board I did....if I'm going out to beat the b@lls out of the pavement, I'm not doing so in an angry fashion in my X3...I got my STI for that....my x3 will never in a million years beat the sh*t out of the road like my STI and I don't expect it to....my buddy's M3 barely beats the sh*t out of the road like my STI does....that is what I use for angry driving.

That being said....I'm looking forward to driving the X3 in whatever way I want...and I feel like with either setup, non-dhp or dhp it's a no-brainer. I just think people need to know what they need to do with a DHP car...if all they are going to do is throw it in sport mode all the time and drive...save the 1400 bucks and get a regular non-dhp x3
Appreciate 0