View Single Post
      03-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

This is an issue and an argument/discussion which has been floating around since the introduction of runflats. And I'm not sure there is a correct answer to it. Yes, when it comes to the repair of puntured tyres I believe that on balance a runflat is not that much different from a conventional tyre. As long as the puncture is in the tread and a safe distance from the sidewall a runflat can be repaired - something that also applies to conventional tyres.

However as X-Men has pointed out the issue is the possible unseen damage to the sidewalls of a runflat. That is why there is a speed and distance limiation on the driving on a flat runflat. And a physical inspection of the tyre will not necessarily be able to detect this damage. As a result more tyre companies are recommending that runflats not be repaired but replaced (I notice Pirelli is the latest). Now of course this is probably nothing more than an attempt by the tyre companies to make you buy a new tyre. The issue for the tyre manufactures is that they have absolutely no idea how long the tyre has been driven on flat and therefore what damage has been done. Thus the blanket advise that the tyre should be replaced rather than repaired.

But the issue for the repairers is liability. If it is the official advice from the tyre manufacturer not to repair the tyre, it is going to take a very brave repairer to do a repair and then accept the possible consequences.

Tony
Appreciate 0