10-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #980
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
I have an 80Gb hard disk plugged in and it plays fine.
+1

I'm using an older (USB2.0) WD Passport 320GB drive and it works fine ... better than my iPhone4, actually. It still displays cover art etc and the track listings are in the correct order. Additionally I can browse using the folder structure as well as the usual artist/album etc filters which is pretty useful for me given the way I store my media files.

I've got about 80GB of music, mainly in MP3 at 320Kbps - the initial indexing takes some time but then the car seems to retain this and only takes a few secs to initialise each time I start it up.

I think the drive cost me about £50 from a retail store (Currys/PC World).

The X3 manual advises against using portable HDDs but I suspect this is because the only drives that will work are bus powered (i.e. powered through the USB socket) and the drive might get damaged if the power is just switched off. It's been a long time since it's been necessary to park the HDD heads before switching a drive off so I'll take my chances.

So, my advice is not to get ripped off with high capacity USB flash drives ... get a bus powered HDD.