12-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #22
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
I personally don't take care how this car looks or performs.
Most of people buying these are like Honda Accord or Toyota Camry buyers.
They buy one because they need one to drive around, not for status or anything else.
Getting emotional over this car is pointless IMO.
Ever since the X3 came out, there has always been this bashing of this model by BMW owners of other models and that always irked me. From day one, X3 owners were looked at as something "lesser" than themselves. It's not as much nowadays, but this post brings me back to when I got my first X3 in 2007 - even to the extent of comments that a man wouldn't be caught dead driving a X3, and that it was something for his wife. If you look back at the posts from the early 2000s about this car on this forum and others, you'll see those comments. Even people buying X3s were sometimes shamed into claiming it wasn't for them. My dad (RIP) had a 5 series and I think even he questioned my decision back then.

I guess things haven't changed so much with some folks. You're going to have your old-school M fans that abhor anything not M, and certainly anything that is M-performance and not M-powered. Then you'll have the 3/5/x series fans that still think the X3 is an eyesore and an insult to BMW. that's basically how the BMW fandom has been, despite the X3 rising up in stature especially after competitors starting coming out with their own luxury compact SUVs.

I admit I'm X3 biased. I was single for a good portion of X3 ownership and it gives me a nice ride with good utility that also made me feel like I was driving a car. I like how it looks, and since I am a tech-head, I really like what they've done inside. The X3 still makes the most sense for me right now, however let's stop it with the X3 owners are not real BMW fans mentality.
Appreciate 4
Max Well4733.00
kozzi927.00
bwcooper182.00