LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Which tires do you have?

With a 1/32 inch wear in 5K miles and allowing for a minimum legal tread depth of 2/32 inch, that sounds like you can expect at least 40K of use on those tires. Usually, tire wear is actually not linear and as the tread depth decreases, the tires actually wear at a slower rate. That's due to the rubber hardening as it ages and the tread blocks having less flex (therefore less wear) as they become "thinner" with use.

I've noticed this especially on summer performance tires. Once the tire wears down to about 1/3rd remaining tread depth, additional wear is at a much slower rate. Of course, it's then pretty much a dry weather only tire and prone to hydroplaning in any significant water depth, so should be replaced anyway.
I have the Goodyear Eagle LS2's, 245/45 R19 all season. I would actually expect to get 40k out of them... as the E90 I traded had just broken the 50k mark and was still sporting the OEM factory tires! Albeit, they were due to be changed, but since I was planning to trade I didn't . They were Conti's, so I'm hoping the GY tires do as well. Both were rated 400 for treadwear, though that number is very misleading.

My commute is 99% highway driving, so my tires tend to wear fairly evenly - even so I like to rotate them to try and prevent feathering problems on the front.

On the X5, I run summer performance tires in summer and all season tires in winter, which really helps both sets live a longer life.

You're right about the jackstand locations - or lack of them. I had a hard time finding a suitable rear point to place the stand and wound up using part of the suspension that looked "stable". I was very tempted to try that center block too - but decided against it.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0