View Single Post
      03-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #16
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

All of my comments were in response to your statement "higher pressure = less grip".

The point was ONLY that increasing the internal pressure can, and usually does increase grip. Which is in direct opposition to your statement. Nothing more and nothing less.

The issue here is only about making a blanket statement that is simply not correct. The examples mentioned were documented, provable facts that contradict your blanket statement. I'm truly sorry that I am not able to convey this concept in a manner you can understand.

Obviously running 46 psi in a X3, for most regular driving conditions would probably be a bad idea. The example was for maximum grip for a Miata on a racetrack.

However, for a driver who wanted to trade a little ride comfort for increased transient capability (which could result in a car that was actually safer to drive in typical urban traffic.) adding a few psi of pressure could be an appropriate solution, and that driver would not loose grip, but could actually gain some. That is an easily documented fact.

For YOUR X3, I would absolutely stick with the factory recommended pressures, which incidentally should be increased (for the stock 245/50-R18 tires) to as much as 44 psi (cold) depending on load and expected speed.*

*Reference: X3 Owners Manual pp. 209

This is my last contribution to this “can of worms” thread.
Appreciate 0