10-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #11
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX3 View Post
Sure, I'll get some nice photos of the HUD. To be honest I could have gone either way with that. But I've gotten a few speeding tickets and the idea of seeing the speed on the windshield I thought might help slow me down a tad.

I test drove an X3 (took it home to show my wife) and the one I drove had the HUD. Had I not seen it, I might not have gotten it.

Because you can turn it on or off and dim or brighten to your comfort level I liked it. One bad thing that I've not yet been able to confirm is if you wear polarized lenses (who doesn't anymore) you might have a hard time seeing the display.

I'll let you know.
With regards to the polarized lenses, the only instances I've heard where people cannot see the HUD with them on are after windshield replacements. There's a special windshield for the HUD (since the full-color version was released on the F01 7-series in 2009), which is why it costs $1,300 and not $600. This windshield is designed to counteract the detrimental effects of wearing polarized sunglasses. Unless BMW is full of it, you should be fine.
Appreciate 0