View Single Post
      11-27-2022, 06:36 PM   #70
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecrane View Post
I hate to revive the thread but here I am. I read every page beginning to end, and I'm concerned. I own two of these cars. A 2015 228i and a 2015 X1. Is there concensus the problem is a tensioner and that replacing it will get you a new design that doesn't fail? Is there any agreement that visual inspection by camera endoscope is useful?

Can't afford an engine swap right now lol.
First, pretty much everybody agrees the problem was addressed by early 2015, so it might depend on your production dates. But more importantly, in my view anyway, is that there was some earlier change made as well in late 2013. I learned of this timing chain issue shortly after I bought my 2014 X3 in early 2017 and read every thread I could find on it. By then there were numerous reports of failed X3 engines, but every single one was a 2013. I raised that observation in threads at the time, and people said that maybe 2014s did not have enough miles yet. Whatever sense that may have made by early 2017 (not much), it makes no sense now. It is impossible that in several model years of identical cars that virtually all reported failures are in one year. Here I am nearly 6 years later and I just got home in that same X3 and have mostly forgotten about the issue.
Appreciate 0