View Single Post
      11-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
skibuddy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Totally agree that buying elsewhere is cheaper but after transfer case problems in previous gen X3 I wanted to make sure my warranty wasn't affected. BMW confirmed you have to have OEM wheels and tyres. Also my tyre insurance had a similar constraint. If you can get genuine from an independant or genuine from eBay then it sounds good. I was keen to get mine soon and wanted to have the dealer store my summer wheels. BMW do not charge the storage fee on the first rotation as apparently this cost is related more to the retrieval on subsequent rotations. My dealer does however charge a small service charge for the rotation in addition to the BMW storage charge but I didn't manage to get them to reduce this by 50%

I probably worry too much but to me saving a few hundred didn't seem worth the risk. That said some of the third party wheels are actually nicer looking and also paying a lot for winter alloys to be trashed is also not really sensible.

Using same rims is a good money saving option but I liked the idea of having something I could sell separately once I changed the car, although I may have another X3 in a few years if a new model is out then. Also I'm a bit OCD and the thought of the wheel balance weights being changed very 6 months would annoy me as the tyre guys always make a mess of the rim in my experience

If I had thought about it then the eBay route does seem the best choice but again I'd worry about the condition of the alloys, unnecessarily.
Appreciate 0