09-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
i just got off the phone with service dept, distilled water or bmw coolant can be used. i dont know how low but im picking up a gallon after work
BMW does sell a one liter size antifreeze/coolant (P/N 82 14 2 209 769), which after dilution will make up to two liters. If you need more than that you are either changing your fluid or you have a problem. So the larger size just maybe over kill.

I do find the recommendation of using “distilled water” for topping off and/or dilution interesting. I have used it in the past, but only because of convenience. In over 40 years of dealing with cars including changing coolant and rebuilding engines I have not once come across a problem with mineral deposits in the cooling system. After thinking about it, I just wonder if it’s a theory that an educated car enthusiast seeking perfection thought would be a good idea without real world proof and the masses thought it sounded good. But, I have never read on a container of coolant “dilute with distilled water” and this includes the BMW container and manual.

IMHO I think potable water is just fine and not a problem.
1. If mineral deposits were a problem the manufactures would recommend “Distilled”.
2. The cooling system is basically “closed”. You are not continually adding more minerals with the addition of large quanties of water.
3. The amount of water in the system is about half of the volume, a small amount.
4. Concentration of hard water minerals in potable water is measured in ppm’s. Very low, even in hard water areas.

I would recommend that one keeps as close to possible to the recommended dilution ratios for your driving environment. If in doubt of the specific gravity of the fluid, purchase an antifreeze hydrometer.

Also, please take note that the antifreeze/coolant is TOXIC TO ANIMALS and they like the sweet taste of it. So if you spill, wipe it up quickly.

BTW, BMW antifreeze/coolant is NOT diluted.
Appreciate 0