View Single Post
      12-09-2023, 01:14 PM   #28
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
If you read the fine print of most state rules and regs, this would be considered tax evasion, hence the reason so many states are starting to crack down on this. It's just like EPA cracking down on ECU tuners that turn off emissions controls. It went on for years until it caught the attention of EPA. Same goes for this. MT is not doing anything wrong on their end as they have no skin in game regarding other state's registration and tax laws.

Then there's insurance. Many insurance companies will deny your claim if they figure out your car is registered in another state which you don't have residence or a mailing address yet you live and drive in a completely different state.

The fact that many of you can rationalize this because you "only" drive your expensive car only x% of the time in the state you live, thus the laws shouldn't apply to you speaks volumes of your character.

Yeah, I get it, we all pay a crapload in various taxes, registration, etc. Take up with your local and state representatives.
Tax evasion is a crime punishable by prison time. Can you point me to the specific laws that say you’ll be charged with tax evasion if you register your car legally in another state under an entity such as an LLC?

From what I can find regarding the most strict states (CA and GA) the worst case scenario for someone is being charged taxes and fees/penalties if caught and pursued by the DMV. To my knowledge nobody has been arrested or imprisoned for using a Montana LLC, ever.

GEICO will cover cars registered under a Montana LLC, you just have to notify them that the car is registered in another state to an LLC in which you are the owner. Obviously you should do your research, consult a lawyer, and keep everything above board. This is all a legal gray area and I have read a few stories of people fighting their state and winning when the state tried to sue them for back taxes and fees when they got caught.

Surely nobody here has even done any speeding before. How dare you rob the state of their hard earned fines for your reckless driving of 75 in a 65 zone?
Appreciate 4
Humdizzle6097.50
goat30i146.00
T3PO97.50
BigHunk269.50