12-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #15
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4cal View Post
Lotus, you seem to know a lot about BMW cars. Yes, the dealer's service dept had to wait for a couple of days for a special test equipment for 2012 X3; with that hey were able to identify some defected "module" between the paddles and the transmission controller yesterday. Now I have to wait 'till next Monday for a new part. It seems too much work for that "simple" wiring issue. One of my friends did add the shift paddles to his 2007 328i himself in 30 minutes. Wondering how much difference shift paddle wiring is between 2007 328i and 2012 X3
The ZF 8-speed in the X3 is a totally electronically controlled transmission and has a completely different interface. It's comparing apples with oranges. I really don't know, but I'd suspect that the ZF 8-speed interface is significantly harder to communicate with, hence the "module" between the paddles and the controller, unless the "module" they're referring to is the transmission controller itself which "sees" the console shift lever switches, but does not recognize the steering wheel paddle switches.

Most modern vehicles, including the F25 cars, are really a rather complicated computer networks on wheels that just happen to have an internal combustion engine and some tires. The way general computing is moving to the use of on-line "cloud" applications hosted on an unknown server half-way around the world away, it won't be long before the dealers will not have any need for any diagnostic equipment at all. When your car fails all of it's diagnostic data will be read by that remote cloud system and the repair instructions will be coughed back to the car. A technician, possibly a non-human robot device, will either repair your vehicle or stamp it unworthy of repair and separate it into it's component compounds for re-cycling and send you a bill for the replacement current new model, with credit, of course, for the components reclaimed from your old "heap".

As I said a few posts back "It's a Brave New World" and it's rapidly becoming "Braver". That's why I'm never going to sell my Lotus. It has only one microprocessor (controlling the fuel injection and ignition), and has no network connected to anything. A F25 has approximately (30) microprocessors or programmable gate arrays, depending on options. Which one do you think will have the higher probability of running 10 years from today?

Last edited by Lotus7; 12-03-2011 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0