View Single Post
      02-04-2021, 02:52 AM   #1
JoernJ
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Register battery

Hi all!
I had a new battery retrofitted in my X3 a weak ago. As it is incredible cold in Norway now, the old one packed in.

I got the battery replaced at a dealership (not BMW). After that I got tons of error messages appearing in my display. I contacted the dealership again to check if they registered it. They told me they had used BMW procedures. I didn't trust that, so I bought a OBD scanner tool. And as I thought the car was registered with its original battery. They had just physically replaced it.

So I went ahead and registered the battery via the scanner. Everything went ok, and it now says that the battery was replaced at 83.100 km. Haven't had any errors after that either.

However, the scanner doesn't allow me to change battery size or type. The new one is 80AH while the old one was 90AH. The scanner just gives me this message:
"To register the new battery size or the other battery type, now carry out the following...retrofit in Diagnostic tools:
•Battery

I don't have anything called diagnostic tools on my scanner.

So my question is how important it is to get the right size and type registered? Right now the car thinks it has 10AH more than it has, and also that it believes it is a BMW battery (I guess) and not a third party one.

BR
Joern, Norway
Appreciate 0