09-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #7
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerrunner View Post
Interesting question, before BMW offered free maintenance they recommend every 3,000 miles now they it's comes out of there pocket it's every 15,000 miles! I am of old school and given the oil is synthetic I am thinking every 5,000 miles. But that just me.
You're right. I once saw a post by a former BMW mechanic who posted the maintenance schedule that was used prior to free maintenance. As soon as they started offering service for free the interval immediately doubled or became, 'lifetime'.

I've read somewhere else (don't recall where) that someone had the BMW oil tested professionally. It breaks down after 10,000 miles.

They recommended that if you plan on keeping the car more than 3 years, you should change the oil every 7,500 miles. I plan on following that recommendation. This kit is the best deal I've found so far. If anyone has seen a better deal let us know.

Same goes for all those "lifetime" fluids, like transfer case, transmission, brake, etc. I've been told if you will keep your car, have all those fluids changed at 50,000.

Last edited by Dukat; 09-11-2011 at 11:14 PM..
Appreciate 0