pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by titsataki View Post
not sure if i whould bump this thread. (a year old) if need be i can open a new one.

My car is 2015 X3 35i xdrive. a bit over 70k miles.
i have done all brake work myself. rotors/pads and fluid.
a couple weeks ago my wife complained that car makes noise. i got to look at it a week later. and low and behold the rear right disk has nice scratcfh line. used my flash light and the right right outside pad is toast. i mean metal to metal. the sensor side has a fair amount and the left side has a fair amount.

i was pissed since now i ahve to do the brakes and rottors

i set the car up and i have little controler and has an option to reset the brakes
well that was a dissaster. i guess what it did was to extend the pistons. well the right was in the car but the left was off the caliper bracket. result this stupid thing pushd the piston all the way out.. i mean out for real.

i tried in vain to push back in and called the BMW dealer and they only thing they said was new caliper. i was shoot but i ordered it. to the tune for almost $400.

in back order for 2 weeks and i am playing around and i am able to push the piston in.. but
but.. the rubber seal it no longer set poperly in the piston groove so i am now in waitning mode for the new caliper.

i was working on it this morning and new pain..
i was going to put the rest of the car together so whent the rotor comes i plug it in bleed and be done..

well the right hand caliper bracket seems to be touching the new rotor on the outside. i fumbled around a bit but when i tighten the 16 mm bolts the lower outside part comes in contact with the outside part of the rotor. i tried to adjust but no cigar.
left bracket no issues. i am even considering putting some washer while i know is a not a good idea but i am at my end of the line here.

any ideas for that stupid bracket?

regards

Nick
1st, periodic visual inspection of the brake pad thickness would have prevented the metal on metal contact, especially easy to see on the outer pad, it's not like it wore-out overnight.

2nd, running a brake reset without the caliper/rotor installed sounds like a bad idea to me, but you know that know.

3rd, I used the brake service mode in ISTA which retracted the piston for easy service, then once everything was buttoned up, took it out of service mode, which reset the pistons.

4th:

I assume the bracket or rotor is not put on properly
When you did the rotor on the other side, did it fit properly?
Appreciate 0