View Single Post
      10-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #37
twerle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 - MW / SO / Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmik View Post
I have a 2011 X5 35i loaner today and I have to say I DO NOT love it. I'm sort of surprised, this is the first time I've driven one and I've occasionally thought I should have considered buying one. Compared to my X3 35i it feels like a tank. Heavy, truck like and MUCH less responsive in all respects. Also don't like the seats compared to the sport seats on my X3. Prefer the placement of the driving & info controls on the X3 center console. And the X5 dash looks cheap and cluttered to me compared to the very clean X3 dash. Then there is the clunky automatic rear hatch combined with a manual drop down tailgate setup, piss poor design imho. Plus the awkward exit from a too tall SUV. Are you supposed to use those running boards as a step, mostly they seem designed to just put dirt on your pants legs as you exit the car. On the plus side, I DO like the design of the front end of the X5. But not much else. My X3 is a fast responsive sports car compared to the X5. Plenty big and economical as well. I'm happy with my choice.
Thank you SOOO MUCH for your reply, I was looking forward to get a real review from an X3 owner and why they would not pick the X5 instead.
I used to love my 2007 328i because it was fast, well build, and was not too expensive to run. I don't like to drive truck like cars, and I do agree that the X5 has a better front end, is more rounded and the car looks more muscular. But 3 series is too small for my lifestyle with 2 babies and the X5 may be too big and expensive in the long run, so the X3 3.5 with sport package totally makes sense.

My apologies for those X3 owners that got somehow offended, when I said “I believe the new X3 looks great but it does not have that MAN looks that X5 has”, but you understand now why I was saying that.

Thank you again for your reply, and I’m sorry about my poor English, I’m Brazilian and a BMW addicted for life!
Appreciate 0