Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
Get your story straight, GM FfUuCcHhTt Saab!!!
Pretty much this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranism View Post
They were referring to the 9-3 and current 9-5. GM apparently told Saab to create a variant of the vauxhall vectra aka opel vectra. The Saabs ended up sharing only about 30% of the same parts. Everything else required custom tooling and parts. Moreover, GM felt Saab wasted resources like spending loads of money on creating their own navigation system instead of using GM's. On top of that, Saab was falling way behind BMW, Audi, and Merc in the infotainment research space. By the time they created their Phoenix platform and new iQon infotainment system, the company had no money left. They lost money on every 9-3 sold. The 9-5 was rushed to production before it was completed to try and make some cash. In the end, it was all too little, too late. Their new owners Spyker simply did not have the finances to keep the company afloat.

I can't say I am an expert on Saabs history but TG UK certainly made them out to be some stubborn SoBs. From what I understand, GM actually tried to help them but just completely ignored them so it seems their downfall is from their own doing.