View Single Post
      08-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #20
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post
The OEM xenons to me look white with a hint of blue. I read somewhere color temp is 5000K. I would not describe them as yellowish at all.
I think color is pretty subjective as everyone views colors in slightly different tints and hues.

HIDs are becoming more and more popular and across all the manufacturers you'd be hard pressed to find an OEM HID that was above 4500k. Pretty much an industry standard. There's lots of good info out there, just google BMW OEM HID color. Some good comparisons in the various forums of OEM HIDs next to aftermarket 5000k HIDs. I also think it's really hard to tell the difference until you've got 2 cars, with HIDs warmed up, shining on a wall side by side. I'll see if I can snap a picture this weekend of them side by side. The BMWs alone look nice and white but the yellow really comes out when they are next to a 5000k bulb.

Regardless of color temps, the OEM xenons are top notch and provide adequate lighting, far better than that of conventional halogens.

HIDs will slowly diminish over the next few years in favor of adaptive LED setups. I've driven an A6 with LED lights and they were amazing. They really reach down the road to illuminate signs and such.
Appreciate 0