View Single Post
      08-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
mooney058
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Make sure you guys are talking about the same thing. Halogen bulbs are typically all the same size so a swap is relatively easy. On the xenon front, I've seen different length bulbs so that is something to be aware of. Clearance may be an issue when looking to replace your HID (xenon) bulb in the projector housing. If the HID bulbs are of different size that can have an impact on how the projector focuses the light. I'd certainly measure the OEM xenon length before ordering any aftermarket HID bulbs.

And just for the fun of it, here is a shot of a halogen next to a HID bulb:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...97&postcount=7
yep, I know there are different types/fittings of xenon bulbs, I would only change if correct type is available - would never put an item into my car that was not intended/approved by the manufacturer. I have changed many halogen bulbs in my life, but have heard that on some cars access to xenon bulbs is not so easy (well my hands/palms are of an average size). On the other hand, most of motorways/highways are lit-up during the night in Belgium, I only noticed the need for more light in my ex E60 when driving late/early in Alps (but that is again 2-3 times a year).
Appreciate 0