07-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #2159
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685 View Post
Thats a fair point regarding comparison to the 3 series, however BMW is perceived as a premium brand so I don't think its unrealistic to expect an premium feel inside all of their products regardless of options selected.

Completely agree its not a Range Rover so we shouldn't be expecting equivalent interiors however I believe that models lower down the BMW range carry off premium interiors quite well so surely the X3 shouldn't be an exception?

In the main I don't think interior is terrible however its let down by quality of certain plastics (door, stalks etc), the seats (non sport) and the perceived build quality (clicks and rattles).
True, it should be at least as good as the 3 series really. I haven't sat in a new 3 series so I'm not in a position to say how far off it is.

Another view is that it's supposed to be a bit more rough and ready and rugged because it's a 4-wheel drive designed for (very gentle!) offroading. This might explain the thinking on the door plastics. More sturdy than style But perhaps it's all just cost saving from BMW and function doesn't come into it.

One thing I would say on the build quality is that much of it is down to poor QA. Not every car has rattles. They shouldn't have any rattles. Mine doesn't rattle *. It's all relative and the sound of the door closing puts the build quality up a notch on my last car (Golf GTI).

Are the stalks really different between other F series models? Maybe it's new recyclable materials across the range?

* I actually introduced an annoying intermittent rattle next to the CIC but that was entirely my fault and I should be able to fix it

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0