Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2///M View Post
While I agree with your premise, the Jeep and Toyota are both better suited for making into a serious off road vehicle; primarily because the aftermarket parts are there. With that said though, I'd go head to head with either vehicle in its stock form with a BMW X5 and from what I've seen/experienced, the G01 X3 would be just as capable. Short of scratching up the paint, I'd take my X5 down nearly any trail here in Colorado; most off road driving is more about the driver than the vehicle.

This is Black Bear Pass going into Telluride, CO; I've done this.
Attachment 1724617

I wouldn't do this:
Attachment 1724616
The first is a beautiful photo. The second is an example of what I would not even do on a mule. In fact it reminds me of a mission that I was on in the Atlas mountains. By the time we got to that stuff we had to leave the camels behind.

One of the reasons that I am going back to an SAV/SUV is that winter roads where I live get ice ruts that can be 6 inches deep or more. My M3 spends the winter in storage and even my wife's 335ix has trouble with ground clearance. My neighbour and I regularly use her Suburban to pull people through.

My only worry is that my wife loves off roading. A few summers ago she took her dad's Citroen C3 on logging roads. We got up to a beautiful plateau Everyone else had Pajeros or Defender 90's. Only damage was a torn off licence plate bracket that I fixed that evening.
Appreciate 0