View Single Post
      06-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #69
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

A little more clarity

Those are not welds but sealant to increase sound deadening.

American workers are not the problem, American car companies are. Remember that Honda, Nissan, Subaru, and Toyota all produce vehicles successfully in US with high levels of reliability, fit and finish. The issue is how old the plant is, including the manufacturing technology vs the build process needed for the vehicle. Many US Big 3 plants were Stone Age in their design and the equipment workers had to use. It's a cyclical thing, but it requires smart management and smart timely investment to produce good vehicles.

If you're a global car company the goal is to provide high levels of consistency at all your plants, wherever they are. Having worked as a "partner" of BMW in the past I'm sure that what you're looking at is one end of the tolerance scale, and not the good end.

Thirdly criticism of the US economy is misplaced. When the US does well every country around to globe rides on its shirt-tails and everyone benefits but says nothing and contributes nothing. But when the US economy fails the rest of the world does nothing but complain.

Europe can't even take care of itself economically or secure it's own borders without help. Will the ECB step up to the plate and bail out Greece? And NATO is essentially US bankrolled. And I don't see a big contribution to either NATO or the global economy from Norway. Maybe European countries should stop taking the US's global leadership for granted and start stepping up to the plate to make a contribution.

And btw I carry a British passport.
Appreciate 0