10-09-2008, 04:40 PM   #13
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
A study came out a few years ago regarding customer desires and safety.

The government HTSA wants high bumpers lowered, and low bumpers raised so they is a better chance of the bumpers meeting during a collision.

Second, American's are aging. The average person affording a BMW is 40-80 years old. The survey showed they preferred cars in which they did not have to bend over and cram into.

Hence the start of the crossover market. A higher riding vehicle that is safer than a lower small sedan. We have aready seen large truck bumpers lowered the past few years.

The next step is to get mileage up. Since the cross overs have a lot of spare room underneath, they are perfect for hybrid or some other electric power plant without giving up interior storage space.

I also think many American's are getting tired of paying for a sports coupe, a luxury sedan, and an SUV. The luxury cross overs from BMW roll all three into one vehicle. So it may burn more gas in its current form, the cost savings by not have two more vehicles far out weighs fuel costs.

I think this is why the X5 (although not a crossover) has been so successful. It actually rides better than a 3/5/6 series mostly due to added weight. The command view is nice and there is lots of utility and luxury.
Bingo....you nailed it.The 3 cars into one is missed by virtually everyone in this type conversation.That basic fact is huge in days of limited oil supplies/$4.00 gas.The X6 is a perfect example of this business model.The X6 drives to 7/10's of any Sport Sedan you want to match it against.I can already hear the M3/M5 crowd screaming.But its true.Unless you track the cars or just have a hardon against SUV's..the crossovers can now hang w/ the Sport Sedans on driving dynamics.And you can get all your s**t in the X6.Thanks! PalBay

Last edited by Palbay; 10-09-2008 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0