12-24-2011, 03:33 AM   #111
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
Like you, I believe all-season tires are more than adequate for winter driving. Getting winter/snow tires is just tossing money aside. Besides, it's much easier to carry chains. (Getting others to see outside the box can be an exercise in futility.)
It is perhaps futile for some but I hope some people find the debate and the information useful and make informed decisions. It's good to have both sides of the argument represented, albeit one side wholly qualitatively.

To be honest I don't know that much about all seasons, I just think that winters (or perhaps all seasons) are only necessary if you see frequent snow in the winter, not 1-2 days in a year and a week or two of freezing temperatures like we get here.

If you want to make a significant impact on your stopping distance simply replace your tyres more regularly and drive conservatively when the conditions are adverse. Both actions have a much greater effect in non-icy/non-snowy conditions, e.g. the 7C myth

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0