View Single Post
      11-16-2020, 08:14 AM   #9
dtox9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 F15

I routed both cables from the front camera to the rear, along the same path...
I was going to run the power on one side and the rear camera on the other, but got lazy.

So far, seems ok...

Across the top of the windshield, tucked into the headliner... across the top of the weatherseal in the front passenger door, across the B pillar, across the top of the weatherseal in the rear passenger door, and down the C pillar to the rear quarter behind the backseat - made the transition right where the leather meets the plastic at the seatbelt spool.

The power cable runs behind that panel to the fuse box / The rear camera cable runs behind that panel and then up the back post to the rubber boot to go from inside the cabin into the rear door frame.... yes - P.I.T.A. - no question!

When you remove the trim around the back glass, you see a control box directly above the center of the glass, where ALL of the wire connections are made to the antenna, rear defrost, etc...

As opposed to running the cable directly across this panel to place the camera in the center of the glass at the top, I dropped it directly down and out of the first large opening in the frame... places the camera cable an inch or two away from the other wires, and away from that box...... this places the camera heavy towards the passenger side of the glass... but the angle of the camera still covers both side of the lanes behind the car - so this works just fine.

I placed the camera a bit lower on the glass.... placing the camera lens between the defrost lines... yet still behind the "clear sweep" area of the rear wiper.

It's only been a couple days... but so far so good... No issues with battery, or remote, or the convenience access package.
Appreciate 0