08-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #10
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
I have done just the same. I bought mine from Care4car.com for delivery tomorrow.
http://www.care4car.com/tyre-accesso...l#.V5idN_krLCM

After a lot of deliberation I have decided to move from RUN FLATS to 4 NON Run Flat tyres after suffering a cut tyre (middle of tread) near West Wycombe Park.

No large chain would repair it near High Wycombe, although I did find a small dealer within a mile of the Park who said he would do it if it had been a nail, but when we looked closer it was a large cut.
Peter - I am now in the same situation as you .....2 miles from home, and front offside has lost pressure.
Got home and pumped it up - definitely a puncture. Rang ProTyre in Slough and they offered to look at it. It has something resembling a razor blade stuck in the tyre. Can't be fixed they say.

So all 4 tyres are runflats with 4mm tread.

Rang BMW Maidenhead, and spoke to the tyre technician, he was a great guy and said the following
1. 4mm tread means I'm right on the limit of putting 2 new front tyres on with 8mm tread. He recommended I change all 4.
2. I asked if I would invalidate my warranty if I changed to non runflats, and he said no it wouldn't as long as I stuck with Pirelli,Bridgestone,continental (basically a premium tyre brand) , and not in his words some cheap tyres.

I have a tyre repair kit at home, and am going to try and repair the tyre now at home (after my cup of tea). My thinking is I may as well try to repair it and learn along the way. Even if I make a total hash of it, well the tyres are going to be replaced anyway.
The cost will be offset somewhat by my selling the 3 part worn runflats at 4mm tread.

So Peter, which make tyres did you go for and are you pleased with them?