12-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
The Glass Doctor
25 years experience in glass resoration
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A2

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyone789 View Post
Literally just saw these an hour ago on my windshield in the places I cleaned off bird crap. A bunch of tiny little scratches. That was with the excrement soaked first and already having RainX on the windshield.

Would love to know any ways to fix them, preferably without a power rotor first. I've tried bug and tar remover and scrubbing bubbles. Helped a little bit but not great. I want to try some other options and then maybe see if more RainX helps. That way I'm not just removing the RainX I just put on.

They spots are right in the line of sight too.
Bird crap will always contain grit and most attempts at cleaning it off will just drive the grit into the screen unless you pressure wash it. The grit has ground right through the Rainex and scratched down into the glass. When you look carefully at it you will see that there are usually various grades of scratches caused by the different bits of grit. The lighter ones will usually come out by professional polishing but the heavy ones that you can feel with your nail will need to be ground out first before polishing which is not a great thing to risk if the damage is right in the drivers view. Forget the DIY kits and chemicals as they will not be efficient enough at polishing glass away unless you want to write off your Sunday afternoon trying to get it out. When polishing you are in effect trying to take a layer of glass away to get the surface down to the bottom of the vee of the scratch and you need to feather that across a wide area so it is not noticed. Try and post a pic if you can and I will comment...
Appreciate 0