05-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #39
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
Oh you two!!!
Well, its hard not to be a little incensed when you know that BMW just does not see room for amazing engines like the S65 anymore.

Quote:
I think the biggest news arising out of the potential for the X3 M will be the motor and it's relationship to the the next-gen M3 as a couple have stated. The X5 and X6 M's were the engine mules, so to speak, for the new M5 and next year's M6. Perhaps this is the case with the new X3???
It's still all speculation, but as Mark (not you, not me - the other one ) says in the OP, it makes a good deal of sense. I think there has always been a strong suspiscion that the medium sized Ms would share an engine just like we've know for some time the large Ms are destined to. And for that matter, you can add small Ms to that (1M, Z2 M, X1 M, etc, all likely to share an I4 turbo M engine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
I'd like to now this too.. What sets the redline in a turbo engine?
It can be any RPM, really - just like a naturally aspirated engine. A typical BMW diesel engine has a 5000RPM redline, while a McLaren MP4C has an 8500RPM redline.

Quote:
Also, 3rd turbo might be used to reduce lag.. I'm thinking of a very tiny turbo just to reduce lag..
"Alright then. Imagine a teeny, tiny, little turbocharger, perhaps no larger than the head of a pin..."

(For maximum effect, you have to say that in a German-sounding cartoonish voice. You know, like Disney's Professor Ludwig von Drake.)
Appreciate 0