11-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I heard that it's only a problem for warranty remedial work if they can prove that what you have done has caused the issue. Insurance is a different matter but again, if you wrote the car off do you think the insurance assessor would take the car to BMW and get them to run a diagnostic on it and try to work out if had been chipped? And if you removed the "chip" after the accident and denied all knowledge it would be pretty difficult and costly to prove IMO
Insurance companies will do anything to get out of making payments. Looking for evidence of chipping is one of the first things they do. Re warranty, you basically null the warranty on engine & transmission. The data they pull off the car is pretty conclusive, the police frequently request this to be done. The onus would be on you to prove you didn't chip the car.

BMW dealers have for ages been valuing cars lowly where have been thrashed, M3s in particular - they access the count that shows how many times the rev limiter has been operated. The stuff basic OBD-II records is pretty good but the internal BMW s/w records sooo much and is very easy for them to access.

I wouldn't put my family out on the street because I was naive and reckless. Having worked in the Telematics industry with insurers trialing PAYD I have insight into this stuff. Sure 98% of people will get away with it. I don't want to be in the 2%.