View Single Post
      01-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #13
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

[OUOTE] ...We also found the new X3’s electric power steering a tactile letdown, heavy and artificial like the new 5-series sedan’s. ... [QUOTE]

Although I usually am in agreement with C&D's reviews, this was just the opposite of my impression during my 30 minute test drive a couple of weeks ago. The car I drove had steering that was actually quite light and "over-boosted" in the "Normal" setting and still on the "light side" but with better (actually very nice ) weight in the "Sport" setting. I can't imagine anyone calling the steering "heavy".

With the BMW CA in the car I never got above 60 mph and there were no long sweeper turns, but I did nail the throttle on a few 25 mph corners and was able to induce a little oversteer. The steering feedback was fine and quickly let me know that a little reverse lock was needed (at least in the "Sport" setting).

What I found more disconcerting, since I'm used to driving only manual transmission cars, was the transmission suddenly dropping down 2 or 3 gears in a turn as power is gradually applied, completely screwing up the balance of the car. I guess that's what the "Manual" shift mode is for.

UPDATE: Just read "Inside Line" Roadtest which includes the following:
"The first thing any BMW-ophile worth his blue-and-white blood will notice is the steering weight. Their improbably jacked forearms, veined and gnarled from years of manhandling heavy steering at low speeds will find the grandma-friendly hyper-light steering unnerving. A stiff breeze hitting the wheel could get this SUV to change direction."

I wouldn't call it "hyper-light" but their opinion is much more in line with my experience than that of Car & Driver's reviewer. Maybe C & D got a early prototype that was not typical, or maybe BMW tweeked the C & D sample to have higher steering effort to avoid having C & D say it was "too light".

Last edited by Lotus7; 01-04-2011 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0