02-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #12
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblackwolf View Post
Recently I read about the Volkswagen Cross Coupe concept, and that looks like the kind of technology I would like to have in a future X3.
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/volkswa...-ar120772.html
My interest is based on the following two factors in present technology:
- fuel consumption. When driving the X3 which shows the instantanious fuel consumption, I realize that fuel consumption is very high during acceleration and going uphill, but this energy cannot be recovered well when slowing down or going downhill.
- Mechanical all wheel drive with driveshafts splitting up to all wheels and varying traction control is very sophisticated, but also complex.

The Cross Coupe concept looks simple and neat:
- engine drives front wheels
- electric motors/generators on the rear wheels can provide all-wheel-drive and energy recovery.
- the electric motors can assist acceleration. Electric motors have a high torque to power ratio, which would be beneficial to assist acceleration of a downsized engine, further reducing fuel consumption.
What I do not care so much about at this stage is all electric drive and pluginhybrid.

Other examples of this concept are: Lexus RX450h, Peugeot 3008 and Citroen DS5 Hybrid4.
I am afraid "Hybrids" are just a "Con" they have been proven to be far less economical that any good diesel and less powerful.
Take LEXUS, they said the 450H would be far more economical than my X6 35D M Sport, so I did 60 miles in each over the same roads at the same speeds on the same day. Guess that what, the X6 was quicker and more economical and twice the weight!!!!
Hybrids are just a government "Green brigade" CON.