View Single Post
      11-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #13
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Having your iPod plugged into the center console had nothing to do with the battery discharging. Both the 12V. accessory socket and the 5V. USB power on the USB port are turned off (after a 5 to 15 minute delay) to prevent discharge after the vehicle is parked with the engine off.

Advice: first, calm down. You're getting hysterical over this for no reason.

I agree, them charging a diagnostic fee is not acceptable for a car under warantee. Refuse to pay it.

I leave stuff (iPod, Nav, etc) in my E90 plugged in all the time and they do not drain the battery. That is not the problem with your car. The guy who said that is the problem is mistaken. If that is in fact the cause, then there is a defect with the car that BMW is responsible for repairing.

You probably just got a wimpy battery from the factory or something that is going on with the charging system.

Its pretty easy to demonstrate in another X3 in inventory that an iPod plugged in with the car turned off does not draw power. The socket shuts down. Do the same in your car. Depending on the results you either have found the problem and/or have clear reason not to pay a diagnostic fee.

It sounds to me like you have a small problem the car that you car making a big one. It sounds even more so like the person at the dealership you went to is full of shit and a douche bag. That is not the service level I am used to at my dealership.

Last point... relax. People who get so worked up never get taken seriously. Just calm down and look at the situation logically. If they want to charge you a fee because they think it is something you did, make them prove what you did caused the problem in another BMW at the dealership. If they can't clearly show to you that you did something to cause the problem, then you shouldn't pay a fee for to fix something on a brand new car under warantee.
Appreciate 0