01-25-2011, 03:11 AM   #15
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwfx View Post
I just spoke to someone at BMW of North America and she said 6NR "cannot be upgraded or retrofitted". She got this information from her local dealer. I have a call into the sales manager at my dealership who may have contacts at the factory and can get more info, but so far the dealership has no knowledge of 6NR.

Sounds like I'm going to have to hold off ordering for a couple of months.
This is nonsense IMO. I wouldn't believe anything your dealer tells you without qualifying it somewhere else. This site has been a much better source of information for me.

I assume more information on 6NR will become available in a few weeks when the software is available but I would say the following:

1. 6NR is only worth getting if you have an iPhone4 or 3GS
2. You will need the software upgrade (£130) and a new adaptor for the iPhone4/3GS (£150??) which is not yet available so don't buy the media snap-in adaptor now if you intend to get 6NR because it will become redundant.
3. 6NR is only compatible with Professional Multimedia
4. If you only want to see album covers when playing back music, all you need is the media snap-in adaptor which is already available. It's designed for iPhone3G/3GS. I don't know if other devices will work but I assume iPods will work as the software is the same.

I intend to get 6NR because I think that the ConnectedDrive stuff has potential for some pretty useful applications. It might be a bit lame to begin with so it might be worth waiting to see what becomes available.

On a side note, if you are thinking of ordering DAB digital radio, in theory you could get the same thing if you had a good enough internet connection with 6NR. I listen to digital radio on my iPhone via FStream now and it works very well to and from London - same principal. The key here is internet connectivity though. I wouldn't want to rely on it as it stands in the UK

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0