10-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #19
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
Winter tyres are good in snow & ice but are better in all conditions below 7 degC. Our average Winter temp for the last 10 years has been below 7 degC for 7 of those years (see Met office site) even down here in the SW.
The Safety benefits are well known in Europe (yes with lower temp) and several Countries now have additional legal requirements regarding winter tyre usage. So yes it is borderline but given the cost is offset by the saving in tyre wear of the "summer" tyres I think they are worth while....
The 7C thing is a great marketing ploy but you can get much more safety and better stopping distances by simply replacing your summer tyres before the tread gets too low. I posted some stats on it a while ago but I usually get shouted down by the 7C brigade. Fact is the % difference in stopping distance for new tyres vs low tread tyres is much, much greater than winter vs summer at 5C wet or dry. Snow and ice are a different story of course

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0