View Single Post
      09-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
Redbhuna
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 Auto Mineral Silver

iPhone 5 and iDrive

Not sure if this is contained within another thread but anyway...

I'm reading that the new iPhone 5 connector will render it incompatible with BMW's and Mini's but the level of incompatibility is unsure. Here's a part of the engadget review that mentions the new connector;

"Superficially, it's hitting all the right marks, but Lightning comes up short in a number of important areas. It is, of course, incompatible with the roughly 350 million billion iPhone and iPod accessories currently on the market -- a problem mostly rectified by a $30 adapter. But, that's not a perfect solution, as even that won't support iPod Out, the specification used in some cars (most notably BMW and Mini) to enable in-dash control of an iPod or iPhone.

That's an admittedly low number of users left with no way forward, as the adapter will provide the power and analog audio that the vast majority of docks and accessories (and cars) in the world need, but it's still disappointing to see those automotive users, owners of some of the most expensive iPod docks on the planet, left out in the cold."

I'd be interested to here of peoples knowledge/views/experiences after the launch as my phone is due an upgrade anytime soon. I have 6NR and Pro Nav so its pretty important I keep a compatible device.
Appreciate 0