View Single Post
      12-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #25
bonedoc19
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 21012 X3 35i

Putting X3 in neutral

We tried the gear shifter procedure (both myself and the service manager at the BMW dealer). It does not put the car in neutral!! Has anyone actually seen this work or is everyone just propogating an urban/ internet myth.
The service guy at BMW learned about it from one of these forums, he tried it and said it does not work.BMW regional service does not seem to know anything about it. The car engine has to go on to unlock the gear to neutral. If you have power but no ingnition then the gear shifter procedure does not work.

The under body panel removal/screw procedure works, but if you break down far from a dealer and have power but cannot get the engine to start that is the only way to get the car into neutral to get loaded on to a flatbed. The BMW assist/tow people say they will not unscrew the underbody panels and then turn the screw to unlock the gears. BMW says the towing companies are supposed to be trained and willing to perform this function. Not true according to the tow guys.

The dealer who was 4 miles (10 minutes) away from where the car refused to start initially did not want to send a service tech out to remove the under panels and put the car in neutral so we could get it on a flatbed. He said his WC liability policy did not cover his guys working off site He finally agreed, after I asked him how many milleniums my car would have to sit in the parking lot until they helped me out. It took 2 BMW service techs from the dealer an hour to remove the underbody panels and turn the gear unlock screw at a target parking lot where the car was.

It has 9800 miles on it and they finally figured out that it needed a new computer module after 2 weeks of trying to figure out what was wrong.

What kind of engineering is this? Things break on a brand new car and then there is no way to get it on a flatbed to transport.

Going to trade this vehicle in for a reliable brand that can be put in neutral for safe transport if need be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plob View Post
To summarise - here is how the 3 scenarios mentioned above can be handled:-

1) If the auto box is in gear (or park) and there is no power, it can be put in neutral using a lever and set screw under the gearbox - as mentioned by 02420X3

2) If the auto box is in gear (or park) and there is power, the gearbox can be put in neutral using the gear lever procedure mentioned by DEVM. Please note that this function only allows the vehicle to be maneuvered - NOT towed. The system then starts a 15 minute timer and will put the gearbox back into park once that timer expires. If the wheels start to move during the 15 minute period, the timer is reset.
I understand that the vehicle is capable of telling if it is being towed (probably by its inclination whilst wheel motion is detected). Given that the vehicle should not be towed (i.e must be transported on a flat bad), breaking these 'rules' will be classed as 'misuse' by the vehicle electrical system. In the event of misuse, an entry is stored in the fault memory.
So, like it or not, the car must only be transported on a flat bed truck. Although you can put the car in neutral and tow it, this will be classed as misuse and stored as a fault in memory. Indeed, the owner's manual clearly states that the vehicle must only be transported on a flat bed - towing it may result in damage.

3) An electromechanical parking brake (EMF) actuator is located in each of the rear brake calipers. The actuator is made up of an electric motor that drives a belt; that drives planetary gear train that pushes a spindle into the brake caliper to activate the brake function. Emergency release of the EMF parking brake by the customer is not provided for. However, it can be released by a service engineer by unscrewing the actuator and manually screwing back the EMF brake spindle.

So, there is emergency provision for each of the above scenarios. Whether or not the roadside recovery crew or service engineer know how to do this (or are willing to) is another matter. I guess the most important thing to note is that towing the vehicle will result in damage and 'misuse' being logged in the fault memory. Like it or not, the car must only be transported on a flat bed as per the owner's manual.

Hope that helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVM View Post
i repeat

With ignition on (but no motor start):
Hold left button on the gear stick while doing
- put gear stick one step forwards and hold 2 seconds,
- then one step back again
- then one step forwards again
Then the car is in neutral for 15 minutes
Appreciate 0