Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz26
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
So my wife was interested in this car (has a X3 right now). They keep comparing it to the X3 and Q5, but there is no way you can compare them. It is the same length, 1.5 inches shorter (height), and 2 inches wider, weighs 100 pounds less, so it looks comparable. But CARGO space is HORRIBLE, 17.7 with seats up and 53 cubic ft with seats down. By comparison the X3 is ~29 with seats up and 63 with seats down. Q5 is a little less than X3, which is what shocked me, I figured the Macan would be about the same size as the Q5. The only car in the segment that compares in cargo space is the Evoque which actually offers more space with the seats up ~18 but only 50 cubic feet with seats down.

The other funny thing is the electric Blue color shown in all the promo shots for the Macan S, yeah not available when you configure the car!

You can build an Evoque or X3 35i pretty loaded to about $55K, the Macan with the same options is $68K, I know its a more powerful engine, but $13K more? I think I would take a SQ5 anyday over the Macan, same performance but fully loaded its about $60K and offers more cargo room.

Not sure what Porsche was thinking with this one, seems like they are going after the Infiniti EX (QX50) and evoque, the X3/Q5/GLK seemed like the market they should have targeted. I would love an X3 sized car with a little more luxury and power, but none exist.
Fully loaded, the SQ5 is about $67,000. That said, I test drove one and it's definitely a contender when the X3's lease is up in August. If I can get a good enough deal on a Macan, I might consider that, too.

As far as an X3 sized car with more luxury and power--you can get the SQ5, which has more power (about %15) and more luxury if you get the Comfort pack (better leather and more of it, vented seats, etc). Not to mention it's built much better than the X3.
How about the Alpina XD3

http://m.autocar.co.uk/car-review/alpina/xd3
I live in the US, so an XD3 is not going to happen. Besides, my two X3s were problem stricken from day one. I'm likely not buying another. My 2009 A4 that I bought CPO last summer with 22,000 miles on it has fewer problems and shows fewer signs of wear than the 3 years newer X3. It has 38,000 miles on it now, and the X3 is pushing 25,000.
Appreciate 0