View Single Post
      07-14-2012, 05:03 AM   #23
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Just been having a read through the PistonHeads thread - it's HUGE! My take on it is (all very subjective and feel free to correct me):

Some but maybe not all stop/start BMWs are affected
  • The most commonly reported OBD thefts appear to be E series but the X5 gets a few mentions. Can't see any X3 mentions - yet
  • The side window is getting smashed but not setting off the alarm
  • BMW are aware of the issue, they have started an internal investigation
  • Thatcham are aware of the issue and are working on a fix
  • You could help prevent an OBD theft by installing a hidden switch and leaving the OBD switched off permanently except when it goes in for a service. This would prevent most OBD thefts because as soon as they realise the port is disabled they are likely to move on to the next and easier target
  • The OBD port is wide open to abuse and the thieves have a static new BMW key and then code the BMW to accept the key (rather than coding the key to work with the car)
  • The BMW has a number of key slots, 5 or 10 (not sure) and if you ever needed to get a new key, they would have to use a new slot for the new key. When the car is stolen they are simply using a spare slot so a form of defence would be to disable all of the free key slots. This would be mean if you lost both of your keys you would have to replace the whole CAS control unit - obviously this would be very expensive

This last point came from here

Quote:
Same guys again??? My '09 E92 335d went April 24th from W9 (West London) and was found the same day in NW1 (next postcode across). They also looked in the boot for the tracker by removing the panels and left the obd cable out. And they stuck new plates on it but the police spotted it parked up.

I've asked the dealer who sold it (Reading) if they can disable the additional key added by the thieves...am awaiting their response.
Asked BMW what I should do. Their response was

"Thank you for your email dated June 13, 2012.

I have been in contact with our technical department and they have advise that you would need to get keys number 3 through to 10 barred in the vehicle at Holland Park. However, I must note that this would also stop any further keys being made, therefore, if you lose your own two keys you would need to purchase a complete new CAS control unit and key.

I trust that this answers your enquiry, however, please do not hesitate to contact me, if I can be of further assistance.

Yours sincerely

BMW UK"

Contacted dealer who said he would ask his technicians about it but still waiting for a reply a week later despite chasing - not impressive in the least.
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...BMW+keys&mid=0

This is getting more and more coverage in the UK including in national press such as AutoExpress. I expect BMW will have to act but the cost of fixing the flawed security is huge as the cars take so long to code.

Will be more of a concern to us X3 owners / prospective owners if X3s start getting reported but £100 for fitting an OBD switch seems like a bargain as an interim safe measure.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0