View Single Post
      08-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster...

I bought my car about 3 months ago (6 months old, ex-BMW staff car), so didn't have much choice over the options.

There were two things missing that I really wanted: Harmon/Kardon speaker package and a reverse view camera.

Realising I couldn't do anything about the sound system, I spent about 6 weeks researching reverse view camera options. I contacted 3 different BMW dealers asking for costs of the option listed on their website (http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/topics/ow...ryId=5124.html) and nobody seemed interested in wanting to help.

I opted for the BimmerTech option (http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...a-retrofit-oem).

The package arrived a few days later and I set about the install...

I have to say, I wasn't too keen on removing bits of trim, but actually, the car is very well put together and there were no incidents of snapping lugs or breaking trim - most parts (up front at the driver end) are screwed in. In fact, I am pretty sure that I have taken more care in the removal / refit of trim than a BMW mechanic would have done (it is my car after all!).

The cabling supplied (OEM) was longer than need be, so no worries about having to tug at cables to get them to reach. I also received an ethernet OBD plug for the coding part (which I may use again later if I get tempted by coding at some point in the future...)

Sure, removing the head unit in the dash was a little daunting, but again, once you find the screws, it was all quite simple to remove and replace the various bits.

I carried out the work over two weekends: camera / camera module / running wires from the boot to the glovebox on one Sunday afternoon; plumbing in the wiring to the head unit on the following Sunday afternoon, followed by hooking up a laptop with remote access for the tech guys to enable the module.

The bit that impressed me the most is the fact that the guys from BimmerTech were responding to emails / Skype messages almost instantaneously on separate Sunday afternoons. I didn't have to take time off work during the week to ask for help / carry out the coding.

All in all, I am very pleased with the end result and wouldn't hesitate to do the same again (if one day I can afford an M5 that didn't have a reverse camera!).

Not sure if this helps or not, but a positive review from me on the BimmerTech option...
Appreciate 0