View Single Post
      10-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
hax
Rep
Drives: '12 X3, '02 M3

X3 Ordered (and the backstory, and some questions)!

First off, I'd like to thank the folks who've posted so much useful information in this forum! I even brought a printout from the "dealer discount" thread and handled it to my salesman . Then I took the plunge and ordered my 2012 X3 35i! I've been reading car review sites daily all year to find the right vehicle. I want a hatchback/SUV/Wagon for practicality, four-wheel for ski trips, compactness for maneuverability/parking in the city, and it has to be fast to replace my M3. The X3 fits that bill very well!

I ended up ordering a 2012 xDrive35i in titanium silver with the oyster leather interior and brushed aluminum trim (full configuration here).

I think it looks beautiful. My only concerns are that the titanium silver might be too "boring/normal", the oyster seats might stain too easily, and the aluminum trim might not feel as classy as the wood. I can still change any of these, but I'm leaning toward sticking with them. I do love the two-tone nature of the oyster seats and the high-tech/modern look of the aluminum.

I'm lucky enough to have 8 BMW dealers within 50 miles of Palo Alto, which forces them to compete on price. The first dealer said this model was so popular that they wouldn't offer me any discount. The second offered $2,000 off the $53,875 MSRP and I said I'd make the deal for $3K off. We settled on a $2,500 "favored customer discount" and I'm happy enough with that. I think I qualify for a $500 rebate as a long-time BMWCCA member too. I hoped for the $1,000 loyalty rebate, but I think my current M3 is too old (2002). I've been hearing about people who get a $1,000 discount for attending BMW driving events, but I don't know if there is any way for me to get in on that? From the web page, it looks like the events are all over. And in any case, the certificates may require delivery by 10/31/11?

My salesman was relentless in promoting the BMW Apps option for $250. But I have an Android phone rather than an iPhone, and they don't seem to support that very well yet. Supposedly they will make an Android version next year, but who knows. And Tweeting or Facebook from my car seems ridiculous anyway. I wonder if the dealer seriously felt this was such a critical option, or if they get some sort of incentive for selling this feature? I told him that I'd take it if they'll throw it in for free, but he wasn't fond of that idea . Does anyone here see this as an important option?

The dealer says my X3 should be ready in about 2 months. That is just in time for Tahoe ski trips, so I hope it isn't late! Has anyone here tried it in the snow yet, particularly with the 19" wheels with all-season run-flat tires? Do those qualify as "snow tires" to the extent that they will (combined with the four-wheel drive aspect) let me pass California chain control checkpoints on the I-80?

I can't wait to receive and drive my new X3!
Appreciate 0